The Virginia College Access Resource Study is a major research effort designed to learn about college access organizations and the work they do.
The study aims to update and build upon research on college access resources conducted in 2008-2009 by:
- creating a comprehensive directory of Virginia college access provider organizations
- carrying out a census-style survey of identified provider organizations to understand the different types of services and resources they offer and the populations they serve
- considering the match between school divisions’ level of need for access resources and the types and extent of resources and services available
Results of the study will:
- help policymakers understand the challenges college access providers face
- provide data to help agencies make funding decisions
- serve as a guide to Virginia access resources for students and families
- help college access providers plan and allocate resources
- help to identify service gaps as well opportunities for efficiency and/or resource-sharing
- identify opportunities for collaboration and partnership
For further information on the study and a chance to win a scholarhip, see the details page.
What can you do to support the research?
Most importantly, let us know about your organization or office. If your organization or office is involved in college access, please contact us to ensure that you will have a voice in the study. E-mail us or leave a phone message for us at 804-827-2621.
Not sure whether or not your organization or office is involved in college access? Click here to find out.
Take part in our survey. Invitations to participate in the survey will be e-mailed to all college access groups that have contacted us in early summer 2016. The survey is the primary way for us to learn about your work, so please be sure to participate! Participating organizations will be eligible to win $1,029 in scholarship in scholarship funds.The scholarship may be awarded to any college-bound student with whom the organization works, and is enrolling in fall 2017.
Spread the word. Make sure that any Virginia college access groups you work with know about the study. Encourage them to contact us so that their voices are represented too. We want the study results to reflect the work of as many organizations as possible.
Look out for results. Preliminary results will be presented at the Virginia College Access Network (VCAN) conference in November-December 2016. The full report will be available in early 2017.
Want to learn more? See our timeline and additional information here [link to Details and Timeline page]. Take a look at our reports page [linked], and check back over the summer and late fall 2016, when data spotlights and further reports will be available. The full, final study report will be available in early 2017. Don’t hesitate to e-mail us or call 804-827-2621 with questions or for more information!