As part of The Virginia Plan, the Council identify priority initiatives as areas of focus in the coming years. The following is a list of the six initiatives that were of focus in 2016 and will continue for 2017.Updates on these initiatives is included in the links below.
- Coordinate the development and implementation of programs that align resources from PK12, colleges, universities and other public sources to ensure affordable, efficient and effective pathways for students in all parts of the state.
- Seek legislative changes that support stable and sustainable public funding for higher education, such as a constitutional amendment, a dedicated funding source, and a revenue stabilization fund.
- Review and recommend potential initiatives for further restructuring and shared services that enhance institutional and administrative flexibility and improve quality and efficiency.
- Collaborate with institutions to measure the quality of undergraduate education, including civic engagement of graduates and relevance to demand occupations across regions of the state.
- Launch a communications strategy to address public knowledge and benefits of higher education, through Council reports, traditional media, social media and other means.
- Promote economic development for the Commonwealth by implementing a long-term plan that supports recruitment and retention of research faculty, provides matches to federal and private research grants and enhances commercialization of higher education research.