Open Virginia Advisory Committee's Virtual Event Series
Virtual Events on Open Education: Student Success and Faculty Autonomy
Sponsored by SCHEV's OVAC
The 2020-2021 Open Education: Student Success and Faculty Autonomy webinar series provides a space for learning and sharing to spark innovation and expand open education in Virginia and is recommended for Provosts, Deans, program directors, department chairs, curriculum committee coordinators, instructional support leadership, faculty, and librarians. The Fall 2020 virtual conversations consisted of short lightning talks, which allowed institutions to share their open education efforts and learn from similar efforts happening around Virginia.
Title: Listening to OER Stakeholders in Virginia
Speakers: Judy Thomas, University of Virginia; Sophie Rondeau, Virtual Library of Virginia (VIVA)
Webinar Date: Friday, April 9, 2021
View the Video: http://hdl.handle.net/10919/103083
You are welcome to provide feedback here on this event. Slides shared during the event are also linked at this site.
This presentation discusses Virginia OER stakeholder interviews conducted by SPARC Open Education Leadership Program participants, Judy Thomas (UVA; 2019-2020 SPARC Open Education Leadership Cohort) and Sophie Rondeau (VIVA; 2020-2021 SPARC Open Education Leadership Cohort).
Title: Getting Started with OER
March 5th, 2021
Slides and a list of links and resources shared during the event are also linked at this site.
Webinar I: September 18,2020
View the video and slide decks at https://vtechworks.lib.vt.edu/handle/10919/100475
Lightning Talks include:
- Institutional OER Policies - Highlighting Virginia Tech's Guidelines for OER & Open Textbooks, Anita Walz, Virginia Tech
- Lessons from the First Year of VIVA Open Grants, Stephanie Westcott, VIVA
- Using OER to Amplify Diverse Voices in Multiple Modalities, Tom Geary, Tidewater Community College
- Building OER in WordPress, Tom Woodward, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Bringing it all together: Mapping OER with Virginia faculty review, Sophie Rondeau, VIVA
Webinar II: October 23, 2020
View the video and slide decks at https://vtechworks.lib.vt.edu/handle/10919/100745
Lightning talks include:
- ESL Composition II Handbook, Chris Soholt and Yu Bai, Northern Virginia Community College
- Using Open Science Framework (OSF) and GitHub to Promote Student Training and Research Transparency, Anne M. Brown, Virginia Tech
- Privacy and Surveillance in Digital Courseware, Judith Thomas, University of Virginia
The series will continue into the Spring Semester with dates TBA. Accepted speakers and event details will also be announced through the OpenVA listserv. Join the listserv for announcements.