FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
December 6, 2019
Contact: Laura Osberger
(804) 786-2323 / (804) 387-5191
RICHMOND — The State Council of Higher Education (SCHEV) and Dominion Energy are pleased to announce the recipients of the 2020 Outstanding Faculty Awards, each of whom will receive a $7,500 gift from Dominion Energy at a special ceremony in Richmond on March 9, 2020.
Since 1987, these awards have recognized faculty at Virginia’s institutions of higher learning who exemplify the highest standards of teaching, scholarship and service.
Nominees are selected by the institutions, reviewed by a panel of peers and chosen by a committee of leaders from the public and private sectors. In all, 85 nominations were submitted this year. This group was narrowed to a field of 27 finalists and then to the 12 recipients.
The 2020 recipients are listed below in alphabetical order. Asterisks indicate Rising Star (early-career achievement) awards. Additional information about the recipients, including their bios and photos, will be available at a later date.
2020 Outstanding Faculty Awards Recipients
- Nicholas Balascio,* Assistant Professor of Earth Science, William & Mary
- Amorette Barber, Associate Professor of Biology, Longwood University
- Kent Carpenter, Professor of Biology, Old Dominion University
- Cynthia Rayvin Deutsch, Professor of Psychology, Central Virginia Community College
- Kirsten Heidi Gelsdorf,* Professor of Practice of Public Policy and Director of Global Humanitarian Policy, University of Virginia
- Ryan David Huish, Associate Professor of Biology, University of Virginia’s College at Wise
- Timothy Edward Long, Professor and Director, Macromolecules Innovation Institute, Virginia Tech
- Cynthia Lum, Professor of Criminology, George Mason University
- Diane Rosemary Murphy, Professor of Information Management, Marymount University
- Wing-fai Ng, Alumni Distinguished Professor of Engineering, Virginia Tech
- Arthur Louis Weltman, Professor and Founding Chair of the Department of Kinesiology, Department of Medicine, University of Virginia
- Jeremy Michael Wojdak, Professor of Biology, Radford University
Media resources — including links to downloadable high-resolution photos and logos, news advisories and releases — are available at www.schev.edu/media.
The State Council of Higher Education for Virginia is the state’s coordinating agency for higher education. With The Virginia Plan for Higher Education, SCHEV is dedicated to making Virginia the best-educated state by 2030. For more on The Virginia Plan, please visit https://schev.edu/index/statewide-strategic-plan/overview.