State Council of Higher Education for Virginia Skip Nav  |  HOME Calendar |  Directory  |  Intranet  |  Webmail     


Amid the coronavirus outbreak, SCHEV is exercising caution to protect employees and the public.
We are primarily communicating via email, telephone or video conference. Please be safe, be informed and be well.

News Releases


SCHEV Report: Public colleges and universities hold down tuition and fees in 2020-21

Sep 16, 2020, 09:46 AM by Elizabeth Liverman

Posted 8/4/2020

Contact: Laura Osberger
lauraosberger@schev.edu
(804) 387-5191 (mobile)

August 4, 2019

For immediate release

RICHMOND —Tuition and mandatory fees for academic year 2020-21 at Virginia’s public higher education institutions remain largely unchanged from last year for the majority of in-state undergraduate students as a result of institutions’ boards being more sensitive to the economic status of students and parents resulting from the coronavirus pandemic, according to the annual Tuition & Fees Report from the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV).

According to the report, in-state undergraduate students at Virginia's four-year universities can expect to pay an average of $13,015 in tuition and mandatory educational and general (E&G) fees for 2020-21, a $179 (1.4%) increase from the prior year.

Students at Virginia’s two-year institutions will pay between $4,620 at the Community Colleges and $8,100 at Richard Bland College, a zero percent increase over the previous year. 

Eleven institutions did not increase tuition and mandatory E&G fees in 2020-21.

Mandatory non-E&G fees (those fees related to non-instructional activities) increased by $81 (2.0%), the lowest percentage increase since FY2000.

Total charges for undergraduates at four-year institutions in Virginia (which includes tuition, mandatory fees and room and board) will be $25,112 in 2020-21, an increase of $413 (1.7%) for in-state undergraduate students and the lowest percentage increase since FY2002. 

Recent state investments in public institutions have helped to minimize rising costs, but support for higher education remains below the target set by the Commonwealth.  The goal is for the state to cover 67% of the cost of education with the remaining 33% paid by Virginia families through in-state tuition charges. For 2020-21, the state will contribute to 49% of the cost — 18 percentage points lower than the target.

# # #

The State Council of Higher Education for Virginia is the state’s coordinating agency for higher education. With The Virginia Plan for Higher Education, SCHEV is dedicated to making Virginia the best-educated state by 2030.


Interested in getting all the latest news from SCHEV?

Subscribe for updates

© 2020 State Council of Higher Education for Virginia
101 N. 14th Street, 10th Floor  |  James Monroe Building   |  Richmond, VA 23219
804-225-2600

If you wish to receive this content in an accessible format per Section 508 of the federal Rehabilitation Act, 29 U.S.C § 794 (d), please call 804-225-2600.

For technical Issues with site, contact webmaster