Director, Private Postsecondary Education
Working Title: Director, Private Postsecondary Education
Pay Band: UG
Hiring Range: $90,000 - $110,000
Unit/Location: Richmond (City) 760
Position Number: 00010
Job Type: Full time
The State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV) is the coordinating agency for postsecondary education in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Among its responsibilities is the administration of policy and regulatory concerns for more than 300 private postsecondary institutions, both degree-granting and career-technical. SCHEV is seeking a highly qualified and strongly motivated individual to fill the position of Director of Private Postsecondary Education (DPPE). The DPPE will lead a staff of eight who carry out all regulatory responsibilities of SCHEV relating to private and out of state postsecondary education. S/he will serve as supervisory manager of the office as well as SCHEV’s lead on the full range of policy issues related to the regulation of private and out of state postsecondary education. The successful candidate will be fully conversant—and have substantial prior experience—with the administrative, legal, and regulatory issues involved in state regulation of postsecondary education. S/he will be a decisive and collaborative leader who is able to interact successfully with stakeholders including (but not limited to) Council members, SCHEV staff, legislators and legislative staff, Governor’s office staff, students, and school personnel. S/he will be a person of high integrity, consummate personal and communication skills, and will embody SCHEV’s values in ethically promoting education as a means of achieving individual and societal equity and success.
- Deep knowledge of Virginia postsecondary education regulation, and its intersection with relevant federal regulations.
- Considerable experience implementing policy initiatives related to state regulation of postsecondary education.
- Work history demonstrating the ability to serve as the manager of a self-supporting state agency office, including budget management and other administrative functions.
- Considerable experience interacting successfully with diverse constituencies, such as (but not necessarily limited to) postsecondary education institutions, students, and state government personnel.
- Extensive experience communicating—in writing and orally—with diverse stakeholders on topics of postsecondary education regulation.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- Master’s degree
- Considerable experience with Virginia’s legislative processes
- Considerable experience with Virginia’s regulatory approval processes
- Considerable experience with the use of technology to enhance administrative processes relevant to regulating postsecondary education
This position is an excepted position with a contractual agreement.
The State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV) will accept ONLY online applications for all SCHEV employment opportunities submitted online by 11:59 pm on the closing date through the Recruitment Management System (RMS). Computers are available for applying for positions in public libraries and at the Virginia Employment Commission offices. The Department of Human Resource Management (DHRM) will provide, if requested, reasonable accommodation to applicants in need of accommodation in order to provide access to the application and/or interview process.
Applicants are expected to fully represent qualifications and work history on the State applications and or in resumes. The decision to interview an applicant is based on the information provided in the application, resume, or other relevant documents provided; therefore, it is essential for applicants to supply detailed information. Submitting an incomplete state application/resume, or a state application/resume lacking in detail, may impact your interview eligibility. This website will provide a confirmation of receipt when the application is submitted successfully. Please refer to “Your Application” in your RMS Account to check the status of your application for this position. If any assistance is needed when applying online, please contact DHRM at 804-225-2131. EEO/AA
Notice: DHRM will record information from each new employee’s Form I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification) into the Federal E-Verify system to confirm identity and work authorization; SCHEV is an EEO employer.
“The State Council of Higher Education for Virginia is dedicated to recruiting, supporting, and maintaining a competent and diverse work force”