The Virginia Plan for Higher Education: Annual Report 2018 Summary
The Virginia Plan for Higher Education provides a framework for making the Commonwealth the best-educated state by 2030 through goals, initiatives and measures of progress. The 2018 report highlights and discusses important areas of focus for higher education in the Commonwealth.
The Virginia Plan for Higher Education provides a framework for making the Commonwealth the best-educated state by 2030 through goals, initiatives and progress measures. The summary below highlights 2018’s strengths and areas for improvement, as well as 2019 recommendations. More details are available in the full report.
Recommendations for 2019
Policymakers and policy influencers
- Support funding and initiatives for higher education that make college more affordable and predictable, increase talent in high-demand areas and support institutional quality and excellence.
- Review state financial aid funding to ensure that money is aligned with the Commonwealth’s goals.
- Adopt strategies that further align funding with the needs of the Commonwealth through recommendations of the strategic finance plan.
- Grow affordable pathway programs, including transfer and dual enrollment, that are proven to increase educational attainment.
- Invest in the technology talent pipeline and other high-demand areas in cooperation with institutions and business.
- Have agencies and regions set shared goals for educational attainment.
- Increase information and resources available for the new college and career graduation and accreditation requirements in secondary education.
- Review recruitment and retention strategies to ensure that all students have an opportunity to enroll and succeed.
- Implement strategies to increase rates of transfer and completion of students from associate to bachelor’s degree.
- Grow programs and initiatives that support the technology talent pipeline and other high-demand areas.
- Continue to identify promising practices and opportunities for efficiencies while maintaining excellence in education.
- Support a study of graduate outcomes.
- Align and prioritize strategies with the state needs in the six-year plan process.
Business and community organizations
- Increase internships and work-based learning opportunities.
- Invest in research and commercialization.
- Support educational opportunities for employees and their communities.