A Commonwealth of Virginia Website
State Council of Higher Education for Virginia

Skip to Content  |  HOME Calendar |  Careers |  Directory |  Intranet |  Webmail   

Credit for AP, IB, Cambridge and CLEP Exams

Students who earn passing scores on Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), Cambridge Advanced, and College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) exams may be eligible to receive course credit and/or advanced standing at Virginia institutions. In accordance with Virginia law (§23.1-906), SCHEV's policy on credit for pre-college exams asks institutions to grant as much credit as possible for passing scores, but allows the faculty to set the specific credit policies for each subject based on the institution's academic standards and the likelihood of students' continued success in that subject. This means that credit awards may differ across institutions depending on the exam, the score, and a student's choice of major.

SCHEV asks institutions to report their exam credit policies and makes that information available to the public through its report, Advanced Placement Tests and Scores Accepted by Virginia Institutions. You can see exam credit policies for a particular institution by using the drop-down menu at the top of the page. Credit policies are reported to SCHEV and updated in our database each fall. Although this information is accurate to the best of our knowledge, changes to these policies may not be reflected immediately in SCHEV's records.

Students interested in receiving credit for their AP, IB, Cambridge or CLEP exam performance should review the institutional policies below and contact their preferred institution(s) directly with any questions about credit awards and how credits might be applied to a particular course of study. Final authority regarding credit awards rests with the institutions.

Please contact SCHEV to report broken links.

© 2019 State Council of Higher Education for Virginia
101 N. 14th Street, 10th Floor  |  James Monroe Building   |  Richmond, VA 23219

If you wish to receive this content in an accessible format per Section 508 of the federal Rehabilitation Act, 29 U.S.C. ? 794 (d), please call 804-225-2600.